As a leader, you have the opportunity to model positive change at Island Health! Your staff looks to you for direction not just in how they do their jobs, but in the attitude they have about what they do. As a supporter of Island Health’s vision and values, you play a key part in helping staff understand the benefits of IHealth and the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
Here are some ways that IHealth will help your staff provide personalized, integrated care to improve the health of Island residents.
Continuity of Care
All clinical staff will be able to access relevant client information from other sites and providers. Clinicians will be able to provide the right care at the right time with more confidence than ever!
With the EHR, Clinicians will provide consistent care based on best practices, and the system will have condition-specific Order Sets to guide the most appropriate treatment – an extremely important part of transforming the health care needs or our population!
Decision support tools
The EHR will provide relevant information at the right time to inform decision making and guide care. This means the system can alert your staff to potential negative situations in their client (e.g., sepsis, pressure ulcers, VTE), supporting your staff to use their clinical judgment and experience to evaluate.
More than one person can access client information at the same time – they won’t need to wait for someone else to be finished with a chart, for example. And the information they access will be in real-time, which means it will be up to date! How will that look?
- Clients’ charts can be accessed and documentation completed from anywhere.
- Multiple clinicians can chart simultaneously.
- No waiting for the chart.
- Decreased need to porter charts from one service area to another.
Collaboration and Communication
Since client information will be in one place, Clinicians will be supported in providing coordinated care. This means that:
- Plans of care can be developed, acted on and contributed to by the interdisciplinary team.
- Assessment information can be viewed in real-time.
- During the handover process, client information will be instantly available prior to their arrival at a site.
As clients’ records get added to the EHR, Clinicians will spend less time needing to repeat documentation and communication, and will be able to spend more time planning and providing care:
- No chart checks!
- Minimizes or eliminates double charting.
- Ordering diagnostics won’t need to be repeated across care settings (the information will be readily available).
- Your staff will be building on existing health history assessments and confirming information with the client rather than having them repeat this information (e.g., allergies) and having to re-document.
The EHR uses specific, evidence-based language. This means that:
- Narrative descriptions will be limited.
- Assessment comparisons will be more accurate and easier for everyone.
- The number, variety and versions of forms available to complete documentation will be limited.
Client and Staff Safety
The system also supports communicating risks. For example: violence; cytotoxic precautions; infection control precautions; falls; and skin integrity. As an additional cue to reduce medication administration errors, barcode scanners will be introduced. For example: internal system checks will provide alerts if orders conflict with noted allergies. This means your staff will have the information they need to keep themselves safe while providing care.
Clients will no longer need to repeat their history and medications to multiple providers; they can take comfort in knowing providers are informed.
The system makes metrics available at the clinician, unit and patient population levels to allow leaders to develop responsive plans to ensure patients are receiving the highest quality, safest care.
There will be many opportunities for you and your team to become involved.
Stay informed! Check this website often for news.
Encourage your staff! Identify and support team members to act as Subject Matter Experts and peer mentors.