As Island Health moves closer to our goal of One Person, One Record, One Plan for Health and Care, medical providers, nursing and clinical staff and clients alike are experiencing benefits using IHealth and the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
These benefits include:
- Improved safety: reduced medication errors and better information about risks.
- Stronger continuity of care: access to patient information before and during handovers.
- Enhanced collaboration: team-based care planning using current information.
- Increased efficiency: less time repeating diagnostics and documentation and faster access to results.
- Better decision-making: relevant, current data and order sets to guide care decisions.
- Involved patients: greater patient involvement in care decisions and less need to repeat information.
By having everything in one secure place, those providing care have access to everything they need to ensure you receive the right care at the right time.
How will this affect you?
By having all of your medical information in one secure database, you will notice improvements in your healthcare experience:
- You will no longer need to repeat your health information to different members of the health care team.
- All members of your health care team will have access to the same information concerning your care. This means that, by working with you, your health care team will be able to:
- Develop your care plan more efficiently.
- Get test results faster.
- Get you the medications you need, more quickly.
- You will have a greater role in planning your care. You will have one plan of care, which is important for those with chronic or long-term conditions, as your health care team will have immediate access to your medical and care history.
- You will be provided with more information, increasing your understanding of what to expect with your care.
- You will have faster access to results.
- You will be able to make better-informed decisions in partnership with your healthcare team.