What's going live?
New electronic processes to ensure that patients’ values are “Expressed, Heard, and Respected”, particularly regarding serious illness and end-of-life care, will be rolling out to several hospitals across Island Health.
The technology supporting this improvement to quality in patient care is:
- Cerner Advance Care Planning PowerForm
- Electronic Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (eMOST),
- Ensuring patients and clients have their wishes Expressed, Heard, and Respected.
- Standardizing the process for documenting and reviewing our patients’ wishes and values of care.
- Providing easy electronic access to MOST documentation.
- Establishing a single source of truth for MOST in Island Health.
Island Health locations going live November 2022
ACP and eMOST Training
Training for ACP and eMOST consists of two modules for both medical and clinical staff, though they follow different paths to completion of the training. All staff will complete the module, “Introduction to Advance Care Planning”. Clinical staff will then complete “Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment – Clinicians”, while medical staff complete “Placing electronic Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (eMOST) Orders Using Provider View”. See below for links to the training.
Who is this training for?
Training is strongly encouraged for:
- all nurses
- including new hires, students, agency staff
- health care assistants
- allied health staff
We hope to achieve at least a 60% completion rate by December 31 in recognition of capacity pressures at the sites.
Training is mandatory for:
- medical leadership
- clinical leaders
- clinical nursing leaders
- clinical nursing educators
- frequent charge nurses
- clinical coordinators
- practice supports
Training Module for ALL STAFF
- Module 23660: Introduction to Advance Care Planning – Learning Hub (phsa.ca) 30-minute online course
Training Module for Clinical Staff
See above for a list of clinical staff for whom this is mandatory training:
Training Module for Medical Staff
- Module 23166: Placing electronic Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (eMOST) Orders Using Provider View – Learning Hub (phsa.ca) 15-minute online course
Training Videos for Medical Staff
Choose the training option that suits your needs. NOTE: Click the title below the image to open the video.
Support for Advance Care Planning (ACP) and eMOST
Quick Resource Guides (QRGs)
ACP and eMOST information Session
Information sessions for managers, CNLs, CNEs, practice supports, and clinical coordinators were held on October 20 and 21, including a demonstration of eMOST.
- Recording of October 21 information session and demo (please allow a few minutes for buffering before pressing “play”).
- Information session PowerPoint presentation
For questions regarding the activation of Advance Care Planning and eMOST at your site, please contact the following people: