Have you heard people talk about “New Platform” and wondered what it meant?
The “New Platform” is a system upgrade to our EHR applications such as Cerner PowerChart, FirstNet, PharmNet, SurgiNet, and more. It will affect everyone who uses these systems, island-wide and some areas* will experience a more significant impact than others. This upgrade is a foundational component prior the new functionality and workflow changes in IHealth.
Here’s another way to look at it:
“New Platform” is like an upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6. When you log in for the first time, there will be a new look and feel, new colours and page layouts, new icons, and some icons or menus will be in new locations. These changes, although minor in most instances, still create a learning curve and it will take time to adjust to the change.
The New Platform will enable us to implement a new system: an island-wide single electronic health record that has expanded and improved functionality such as electronic clinical documentation and computerized provider order entry.
This is IHealth – a journey that will significantly improve patient safety and the quality of care that we provide.
Like any change, being prepared is key! Here’s some resources to stay informed.
- IHealth Public website – where you’ll find an abundance of valuable resources; new information is added regularly!
- IHealth intranet pages – where you will find more role-specific information, including six learning hubs (log in required).
- Tips of the Week and other learning resources can be found at: https://intranet.viha.ca/IHealth/Pages/default.aspx (log in required).
- Keep reading The Weekly, Island Health’s internal news bulletin; this is where timelines for this system upgrade will be provided.
- Interprofessional educators are also a great resource!
*Areas that will be most significantly impacted include:
- Health Information Management Systems
- This includes changes for clinicians and physicians who need to sign-off on dictated documents.
- Mental Health and Substance Use Clinical Profile Documentation
Endoscopy at RJH
- Emergency Departments and Oceanside Health Centre (FirstNet sites)
- Laboratory Medicine
- Medical Imaging